IIMs to Plan for Increase in Intake Capacity of Students asks HRD Prakash Javadekar
The Union cabinet Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar asked the Directors and Chairmen of 20 Indian Institutes of Management to submit plans for expansion of their intake capacity from 10,000 to 20,000 students in coming sessions.
Mr Javadekar’s instruction came during his meeting with the Directors and Chairman of the B-schools, which was held at the Indian Institute Management Shillong campus. He said “We have decided to increase the intake capacity of students from 10000 to 20000, so that more students will get opportunity to take part in these best institutes.
Details from the IIMs to increase the intake capacity of students:-
The Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs) are a group of 20 public, autonomous institutes of management education and research in India. Mr Javadekar said the IIMs would also participate in the new initiative of the government to make 20 world-class universities/institutes. All the Directors of IIMs have also narrated how they are ready for how much expansion and if there are problems they will mention it and submit action plans on expansion of students intake.
Apart from increasing the B-schools’ intake capacity, the minister said, “The IIMs have also decided to expand the number of doctoral programmes (PhD programmes) to address the shortage of faculty through creating quality PhDs.
- We also discussed how to expand PhD programmes by offering IIM scholars more fellowships.
- As in Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) Council, we have decided to give Prime Minister Research Fellowship.
- We will also take government’s approval for Prime Minister’s scholarship for the best of the best PhD scholars in IIMs.
- IIMs primarily offer postgraduate, doctoral and executive education programmes.
- The IITs already have their own funding. Therefore, we also want to provide these benefits for IIM scholars, and necessary sanction will be given to this soon.
- The government will create world-class institutes – 10 in government sector and 10 in private sector.
- The minister said that the IIMs will create content for the online course ‘SWAYAM’ also.
On the shortage of teaching faculty in IIMs, Mr Javadekar said, “Unlike in the IITs where we have 30 per cent shortage of teachers, in IIMs it is not much. However, we have also discussed this in our meeting how to inculcate teachership in students.
We started national ranking framework which is appreciated and this time will be expanded, so it is evaluating the institutes correctly. He said the government has also decided to start an outreach programmes with alumni and Indian diaspora for their active participation, and to bring more foreign students/foreign faculties, more exchanges between India and foreign countries.
You can like our Results360.in page on Facebook ➡ CLICK HERE
Subscribe via mobile or Facebook and get latest Education News:
- BSEB 12th result 2021 name wise Live- Bihar Inter result 2021 roll code Arts, Science & Commerce Available - April 5, 2021
- WBUTTEPA Results 2021- West Bengal Wbuttepa B.Ed 1st & 2nd Sem Result 2021 - March 17, 2021
- IIT Jee Mains Result Feb 2021 – Jee mains score 2021 feb session, Jee cut off marks - March 9, 2021