Government is Think About Increasing Scholarships for Differently-abled Students in India
The Indian government is mulling increasing the number of scholarships for differently-abled students, HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar today said. “Currently, around 2500 scholarships are being provided to differently-abled students in India.
Javadekar was speaking at the convocation of the Jagadguru Rambhadracharya Handicapped University here, his first such event after taking over as the HRD Minister. He said, “We are thinking about how this number can be increased and how differently-abled students can avail more benefit from these programmes”.
More information on Increasing Scholarships & strengthen education for the different-abled:
HRD Minister said, Underlining his priorities, after assuming charge he received requests from many universities to attend convocation ceremonies but he chose to begin with this unique varsity. Two senior officials of our HRD Ministry would visit this university to look for ways to further strengthen education for the different-abled.
- He said differently-abled persons constitute about 3 per cent of the population.
- The focus of the Narendra Modi government is to reach out to all sections of the society, including the marginalised and poor.
- Javadekar and BJP MP Prabhat Jha, who was also present, were conferred honorary D Litt degrees by the university.
- Javadekar said at present, as many as 128 Equal Opportunity Cells are functioning in various universities to make colleges and varsities more responsive to the needs and constraints of the disadvantaged social groups.
- He said a one-time grant of Rs 2 lakh for establishing the office of Equal Opportunity Cell will be provided.
- He also lauded the initiatives of the Indira Gandhi National Open University to start an Indian sign language research and training centre.
Lavishing praise on university Chancellor Jagadguru Rambhadracharya, he said despite not having the gift of sight, he managed to create this varsity which has given high-quality higher education to thousands of differently-abled students. In his speech Rambhadracharya said he had run the varsity for several years now and it was time for it to be turned into a central university.
Rambhadracharya also made a reference to the situation in Kashmir and said for students of the university, the country comes before everything else. During Javadekar’s visit to Chitrakoot, some anganwadi workers also raised demands regarding their working conditions and he assured them that he would raise their demands before the appropriate authority.
You can like our Results360.in page on Facebook ➡ CLICK HERE
Subscribe via mobile or Facebook and get latest Education News:
- Dibrugarh University TDC Results 2022 name wise- Dibrugarh University Ba, Bsc and Bcom Results 2022 - November 18, 2022
- Sambalpur University Results 2022- Sambalpur University +3 3rd year (Arts, Science, Commerce) Result 2022 at suniv.ac.in - August 10, 2022
- University of Calcutta Ba, Bsc Results 2022- CU B.Com Part I, II, III (Hons/Gen) Results 2022 - July 13, 2022